Tuesday, January 09, 2007
Making some changes...
I've already changed my tickers to reflect the fact that Natalie is now over a year old. I'm just now polishing a few other things on the blog here. Other than that, there's not much going on in my world. Natalie is growing and thriving as a one year old (though not really growing much vertically; I fear she's going to be a shorty like her daddy). In many ways her little personality is coming through. Some of these ways are in the form of mischievous behavior. She likes to get into things, lots of things, basically whatever she can find to get into. This is not exactly a large apartment and I don't have a room where I can store everything that she shouldn't get into. SO...I do find her getting into trouble on a fairly frequent basis these days. I do try to get her involved in other activities and to keep her out of those things that she should not be in but the little girl does on occasion have a one track mind. Ah well, I'm sure it will get worse before it gets better as I was quite a stinker myself at her age and older. I'm doing what I can to remove temptation from her path but it hasn't been easy with the extraneous belongings we have here. Things I have set aside in boxes to go elsewhere she particularly likes to get into, especially boxes of books so I'm working to get those out of here ASAP. Perhaps one day this apartment will be in the right kind of shape for a toddler but I doubt it; she does somehow mange to find trouble to get into.These days, I've been trying hard to get her to eat more solids. I've been bad about this and it's something I'm trying to correct but it's not always easy. It means that I have to be good about eating meals myself and it's oftentimes a habit to miss a meal or two and just snack all day which does not do well for the little one. Now that she's a year, pretty much anything is up for grabs for her to eat which helps a little though I find I still struggle a little with lunch and dinner. Finding the time to cook something with her underfoot is not an easy task but I'm trying to get better at that. Today was a good day food-wise even though I found myself eating about every two hours along with Natalie. But at least these were things like eggs and sandwiches, not a bag of chocolate. The goal is Natalie's eventual weaning though Natalie and I have not yet decided when that will be. Specifically, Natalie has not decided yet if she even wants to wean or at least she has not told me so. She is though sleeping very well through the night. She usually sleeps 11, 12, sometimes 13 hours. Last week was a little rough because she was waking up about three/four hours after I'd put her to bed but I think that had to do with my cycle. She takes one nap during the day, usually around 12:30. At least, that is what I'm trying to stick with. Weekends do tend to be more flexible because her dad's around. He's not quite as strict about naptimes and bedtimes as I am. I wish he would be; I fear she may use this against us in the future.
She moves around very well but she hasn't really been talking yet. We'll hear a word or a phrase here and there but it's usually just a one time thing, maybe twice and then we never hear it again. It tends to make me think I'm going loony and that I'm hearing things. Pretty much all she says consistantly is Momma and Dadda. She walks great though and walks all over the apartment, hardly crawling at all anymore. And not only does she walk but she can walk holding a ball in her hands (a large ball too) and she can also kind of walk and kick a ball at the same time so mobile-wise, she's advanced but verbally, she's got a little ways to go yet. I'm trying to teach her to do a little signing but she's shown no interest so far. The only thing she really does on that end is wave bye-bye and marks her hand with a "b". She points pretty well too.
She's not very tall. She's only about 28 inches while her cousin is quite a few inches taller. It worries me a little because she's only grown about two inches in the last six months whereas she grew five inches from birth to six months. However, her dad is only 5'6 so that might have something to do with it. I would feel better though if she would just have a growth spurt sometime soon. Her pants are pretty long right now. I haven't scheduled her 12 month well baby checkup yet. After the whole fiasco with the pediatrician in Lodi, I'm a little gun-shy. I should though, just to check on things but I'm just not feeling all to comfortable about picking a new doctor. We had the perfect doctor in La Crosse and now I've got to start all over again with a new one. It's not something I look forward to.
That's pretty much it as far as updates go. I have some pictures to upload; I just need to get to that one of these days. My plan too is to post pictures of Natalie during the last 12 months. I just don't know if I have all 12 months yet. Some pictures are still in my other computer, the one that's currently not working. That's one downside to using a digital camera. We're still looking for John's camera but haven't found it yet so we bought a new one to get pictures with. I wanted to be sure to at least get birthday pictures of Natalie and I was able to do that. At least she liked her birthday cake as did her dad. However, I thought it was gross. The next time I bake a cake, it WILL be with sugar. lol

























