Friday, September 05, 2008
Natalie and the spider...
So the other night, while John was at work, I noticed a little spider crawling on the kitchen table. Our apartment complex has been having HUGE issues with spiders and we have have quite a few of them here including an egg full of baby spiders that I had John suck up with the vacuum cleaner. Well, this was a pretty fast moving spider and running all over the kitchen table. I happened to say something to Natalie and the first thing she did was run for one of her little plastic bowls in a drawer. She then proceeded to "catch" the spider under the bowl. John is one who catches unwanted bugs and then takes them outside. Well, Natalie was more interested in playing with the spider than taking it outside and so I took a few pictures of her playing with the spider:The very little black dot in the picture above that is in the middle of the table is the spider.
Here, Natalie is somewhat gleefully watching the spider under the bowl. Eventually, I tried to transfer the bowl onto a book to take the spider outside but unfortunately, I killed it. Oh well. It was fun for Natalie while it lasted, I suppose.
In other news, Natalie had her hearing appointment two weeks ago and I'm VERY happy to say her hearing is great. So far, she has not at all inherited any hearing problems from me. In fact, her hearing is MUCH more sensitive than mine which is creating a few problems already. One, she is constantly holding her hands to her ears as I talk FAR too loud for her at times and two, she tends to talk VERY softly so half of the times, I can't hear what she is saying. The two of us falling in two extreme is going to make communication very difficult for awhile, I see.
The hearing test itself was pretty interesting to see. I went in with Natalie so that she had one of us with her. The doctor had me put her on my lap and then told me that she was going to play sounds from one of the two speakers in the room and then what Natalie is supposed to do is turn towards the sound. I'm not to help her at all. In fact, I wasn't even supposed to move my head to look for the sound myself. Sadly, that turned out to not be much of an issue. While Natalie had NO problems and heard the sounds, whipping her head towards where the sound was coming from, I could maybe hear about TWO of them. That was it. And even then I wasn't positive that I wasn't just hearing phantom noises like I sometimes do. It's no wonder at all that Natalie can hear the train whistle a good minute or two before I can. It kind of hits home too just how bad my hearing is. I wonder sometimes if I have made things more difficult for myself by acting like it wasn't that big of a deal. For a longest time, it had been more or less blown off, that my hearing really wasn't THAT bad. I'm only now starting to realize just how bad it is.

























