Sunday, April 15, 2007
Updates and other stuff.
Natalie finally got in for her well baby check-up on March 30th. Currently, she’s 29 inches tall and somewhere between 22 and 24 lbs depending on the scale. I think she’s actually around 23 lbs, at least that’s what the scale says here so I’m going to go with that. That makes her around the 12th percentile for height and over the 60th percentile for weight. So, at this point, it looks like she’s going to be short and fat like me. lol She’s already got my chunky legs so it wouldn’t surprise me. At the very least, she’s not starving. Other than that, the doctor didn’t really do much. Natalie was hardly even examined which really didn’t impress me as the doctor had never seen her before. Her doctor in La Crosse was much more thorough. She did look at the couple of little things we mentioned like the mole on her bottom. I was a little concerned with that when it first showed up which was after we moved here but then I figured out she got it from her dad. He has one in the same place so my guess is it’s probably a birthmark. Otherwise, Natalie is a very healthy, active little girl.She is getting VERY vocal. For someone who has hardly talked in the last 15 months, she’s making up for it now. I can barely keep track of all the words she can say. Here are some of them: hi, hello, hey, around and around (this one is her favorite and she says it almost all the time; it refers to either a ceiling fan or anything that hangs from the ceiling), yum, yucky, diaper, cow, nice, nice dad (said as a phrase), night-night, book, ball, bye-bye (said once, still waiting to hear it again), bless you (same as bye-bye), quack, quack (what she says when she sees a duck), boob (I think that’s what she’s saying, she’s patting my chest when she says it, lol), gone or all gone, frog (it sounds like frog anyway and she says it when she sees a picture of a frog), bear, and that’s all I can think of right now. Whew! Most of these words have come out since March 23rd so she is very quickly catching up to her older cousin. It’s like a little flip got switched on inside her brain or something.
We did have another milestone the other day. Natalie had her first big fever. She had a temp of 102.2 rectally so that was a little nerve-wracking since I didn’t really know what to do. She was really tired that morning and was falling asleep during breakfast so John put her back to be at 9 and when she slept until 12:30, I figured something was up. She was pretty warm so we checked her temp. She was the next day; her fever was gone as far as I could tell and she was definitely more active. She does seem to be cutting a few teeth so I’m sure that had something to do with it. She did not want to go to sleep that night though. She wanted to sleep with momma and I wanted to sleep! I let her sleep in bed with me for a little while and then finally tried to put her back into her crib about 3am. Well, around that time, John came home and he spent the next hour trying to get her to sleep. I think we were all pretty pooped the next morning and the weather wasn't helping either with it blowing snow outside.
I finally have the picture of Natalie in pigtails in my computer so here it is:

I also think she looks a lot like me in that picture. I have a more recent roll of film I need to develop but that probably won’t happen until the next time we go to Madison which probably won’t be for another week. There’s one picture on there that’s really cute; she’s sitting on her little potty chair reading a book that we just got her. She’s really taken an interest in board books besides taking them apart so we’ll have to get her more of those. As for the potty thing, no, I’m not trying to potty train her. What we are doing is getting her used to the idea of the potty. I’ve read that kids get so used to the idea of going in a diaper that they have to be totally retrained and not only trained to use the potty, but untrained off the diaper so what I figure is that if Natalie gets the idea early that the potty is also an acceptable place to go, then when it’s time to train her she’ll get used to the idea more quickly. All we’re really doing is having her sit on her little potty after we take her diaper off during diaper changes. So far, she’s used it a few times and has even pooped in there which I think is good since I’ve heard that it takes longer to get a child used to not pooping in the diaper. I’m sure the novelty at some point will wear off but if I can get her out of diapers a little sooner, it would make me happy since I’m so sick of diapers.
That's pretty much it. I've been dealing with a cold myself for the past few days and it's got me pretty wiped out. I'm hoping though that it only stays a head cold and doesn't go into my chest. I really hate chest colds. I know a lot of it is because I'm not getting enough sleep but since John lost his second job, my sleep has been very much messed up with his new schedule. Hopefully that will change when he finds a second. Although, if gas prices go up much more, I might have to have him leave his job in Madison and find something closer. I don't think we can afford much more for gas for him to go to work than we're already paying and the wear and tear on the car is also starting to cost us some money. It seems every month there's something that needs to be fixed on the car that costs us a pretty penny some something is going to have to change soon.
I have been doing Discovery Toys and I'm trying to get that off the ground. I started that a little over a month ago. I had my first party at the end of last month and it didn't go too badly considering only two people showed. I have another party in just under two weeks and I'm going to try to set up another debut party here next Sunday to see if I can get more people interested. I have a website set up as well but I don't think anyone has used it yet.
I'm going to La Crosse in less than three weeks though so I'm going to see if anyone I know there shows some interest as well. Part of my plan is that I'm going to take the toys with me to the wedding reception and see if any of the kids get interested in playing. It's worth a shot and maybe some of the moms will get interested in getting something if they see that their kids like a certain toy. I know, I'm pretty devious but it's not like Natalie isn't going to be playing with them as well; she's going to need something to do all evening that isn't climbing on tables and chairs and jumping off of things. Yes, that's her newest hobby; she climbs on the coffee table and jumps off. Fortunately, she only jumps when someone is there to catch her. She has definitely inherited my dare devil side. That worries me; I had a lot of near death experiences when I was little and I'm not looking forward to my daughter doing the same.
So, that's pretty much the story here. I'm still working on my weight and while the number on the scale aren't changing too much, the way my clothes fit is changing. I even bought a new pair of jeans tonight; the first pair I've bought since before I got pregnant over two years ago. I actually found out I was pregnant on the 16th of April in 2005. That was pretty intense; I didn't know what to think! I wasn't even sure I could get pregnant because of my weight and was hoping that maybe by October I would be pregnant. Instead, I was about 11 weeks to Natalie's birth by then. Time sure goes fast around here. It makes me wonder what the next two years will bring.

























